Tral boy sent to juvenile home after GK reports his unlawful detention

A 14-year-old Tral boy detained unlawfully was sent to a juvenile home after Greater Kashmir reported about his ‘jailing’ in violation of Juvenile Justice Act.

Superintendent of police Awantipora, Mohammad Zahid Malik told Greater Kashmir that the boy was sent to a juvenile home after questioning.

“He was earlier questioned about the presence of militants at his home. He was then shifted to a juvenile home,” said Malik.

Taking a serious note of his detention, the chairman of the apex committee for juveniles in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday had sought his immediate release, saying he cannot be kept in a lockup as per the law, Greater Kashmir reported in its Tuesday edition.

Justice (retired) Hasnain Masoodi, the chairman of the selection-cum-oversight committee has written to the principal secretary, Home, as well as the additional director general of police (headquarters), who is a nodal officer under the Juvenile Justice Act, to set the juvenile free, said the report. 


“It is reported that a 14-year-old boy has been detained by police station Tral. The arrest and detention of the boy in the police station is, on the face of it, a gross violation of the Juvenile Justice Act and therefore forbidden under the law. I would request you (to) kindly intervene in the matter, and ensure that the juvenile is let off immediately, unless required to be brought before the Juvenile Justice Board,” Masoodi’s letter read.

Calling for an inquiry into the incident, Justice Masoodi had written: “If the allegation (that a juvenile was detained) is found to be true, action should be taken against the erring officer as per law. I would also suggest that a circular be issued to remind the police (officers) to desist from arresting and detaining a juvenile in future.”

On Saturday, a gunfight broke out at his house in Aripal Tral. During the day long gunfight, the house was razed to the ground but the militants managed to escape from the site.

Comments are closed.