Mudasir vowed to stop every goal before vanishing from football field on a bike

A tin shed that serves the poor Parrey family as their kitchen in Hajin has ‘Mudasir’ written in bold letters on it.

Mudasir Parrey, the 14-year-old militant who was killed along with another teenaged militant and their associate in a gunfight earlier this month, had written his name on the tin shed himself.

He is gone, but Hajin is rife with stories of his disappearance from a football field on the last day of August, and his emergence as the youngest militant of Kashmir.

It was a bright, sunny Friday. Mudasir had asked his friends to assemble in Hajin Eidgah, that also doubles up as a playfield for its youth, after the day’s congregational prayers.

The keen footballer and brilliant goalkeeper, Mudasir had vowed to stop each goal directed against his team.

“He (Mudasir) made a bet of Rs 50 that he will stop all goals,” said a friend of the teenager, wishing not to be named.


He said, Saqib Bilal Sheikh of Parrey Mohalla, who was killed along with Mudasir in the firefight was playing from the opposite team.

“The game was in a full swing. When the clock struck 4 pm, Mudasir asked for stopping the game for a moment. He changed his shirt and so did Saqib,” the friend recalled.

“At the boundary wall of the ground, an unknown biker with his helmets on picked up the duo and both disappeared from our eyes within seconds.”

The close friends joined Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group without informing their families, and were killed together during an 18-hour gunfight at Mujgund on the Srinagar outskirts of on December 9.

Their families came to know of it (joining the militant ranks) only after a photograph of Mudasir wielding an assault rifle and a military knife appeared on social media, days before he died.

Mudasir, according to his family quit school after passing 9th grade to support his ailing parents—father, Abdur Rashid Parray suffering a crippling back ailment and mother Fareeda Begum, a heart patient.

“Mudasir was very young but he was mature like a 40-year-old man,” said his uncle, Muhammad Afzal Parrey.

“He would earn money by going on a daylong labour or by helping people ship goods from one place to another.”

Asked what pushed his nephew to militancy, Afzal said Mudasir was detained by police twice for just “holding a flag”.

“He was kept in police station Hajin for ten days in 2017. Whenever the situation deteriorated, he (Mudasir) would rush to the nearby Masjid and play pro-freedom songs on the loudspeakers. But this all was childish, after all he was just a 14-year-old kid.”

Afzal, who had three bullet wounds in his leg during 2008 agitation, said his nephew never left a clue of militancy. “It just happened in a jiffy,” he said.

Apart from his ailing parents, Mudasir’s elder brother has a hearing impairment and is somewhat challenged.

The family lives in a single-room house.

Mudasir’s father has appealed to people across Kashmir not to donate money or make any charity in his son’s name.

“I don’t need any charity in the name of my son.”